A downloadable mod for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Radiator 1 is a standalone Source Engine mod about stargazing, gay divorce, and Emily Dickinson.
First it was a Half-Life 2: Episode Two mod released in 2009 as two episodes ("Polaris", "Handle With Care") -- but now in 2015, I've sloppily finished the third never-before-seen episode ("Much Madness"). It still feels really incomplete and unfinished to me, but at this point, I'm just going to push it out anyway. While I'm at it, I've updated all the levels to work with the free Source SDK Base 2013 Single Player, which means that
ANYONE WITH A STEAM ACCOUNT CAN PLAY THIS MOD FOR FREE.
- PRICE: $0 USD
(no payment accepted due to Valve EULA)
- PLATFORMS: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
- LANGUAGES: English (audio + text)
- SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: a DX9 capable computer, basically something manufactured within the last few years; 9 GB hard disk space (~500 MB for mod, ~8.5 GB for Source 2013 Base); a SteamVR-compatible headset for optional VR support.
- PLAYER REQUIREMENTS: be comfortable with first person controls and conventions, there are no tutorial sections. To get ending B in ch. 2 Handle With Care, you'll also need to be good at crouch-jumping.
- AVERAGE RUNTIME: 1-2 hours
- LINER NOTES: Radiator 1 notes, memories, and regrets.
- ALSO BY ROBERT YANG: Hurt Me Plenty, Succulent, Stick Shift, Cobra Club, Rinse and Repeat
- Design and production: Robert Yang
- Voice acting: Danni Finneman as Therapist / Emily Dickinson, Mike Mostachetti as Dylan, Michael Hillard as James, Victoria Teunissen as Pam.
- Special thanks: Eddie Cameron
In order to play, you must put the mod files in a specific folder on your hard drive. I highly recommend downloading the "auto installers" for Windows or OSX, which will attempt to find that specific folder for you.
(STEP 1) install Steam and have a Steam account
(STEP 2) this will depend on which file you downloaded...
... (a) if you are using the WINDOWS installer EXE: double-click on radiator1_installer.exe; if you get a Windows SmartScreen pop-up, click "More Info" and then "Run Anyway." Unless you know what you are doing, DO NOT change the default installation path that it detects for you.
... (b) if you are using the MAC OSX disk image DMG: double-click on Radiator_Installer.dmg, then drag the "radiator" folder to the "sourcemods" folder shortcut.
.. (c) if you are using manual ZIP installation: unzip with folder structure intact to \Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\ (on MAC OSX, this is ~\Library\Application Support\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\ ... in Finder, use "View > Go to Folder" to access "~\Library\" )
(STEP 3) you should now have the game files at \SteamApps\sourcemods\radiator\ ... now, RESTART STEAM (quit Steam, then start it again)
(STEP 4) start "Radiator 1" from the Steam games menu. If Steam doesn't ask you, then make sure you have downloaded the (free) Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer framework. (In Steam, click Library > Tools > Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer)